Getting Help

Support for Research Higher Degree Students

If you are experiencing difficulties with your studies, there are many sources of support in addition to your supervisors. You should seek assistance and advice from your supervisors or the Research Training Coordinator in the first instance.

If you have concerns about your supervision, please speak to the Director - Research Training, Dr Helen Billman-Jacobe. You may also choose to seek confidential advice from the Graduate Student Association.

For help with personal problems, please refer to the section below on Wellbeing Services.

International students should also contact the Student Services Centrefor advice.

Financial assistance (in the form of student loans or bursaries, which are non-repayable grants awarded on the basis of financial need) is also available. Please consult the Student Services website and refer to 'Emergency Support'.

Students with disabilities

A wide range of medical conditions can result in experiencing a disability. If your study is adversely affected by a chronic illness (such as chronic fatigue syndrome), mental health condition (such as depression or anxiety), learning disability (such as dyslexia), vision impairment, hearing impairment or other physical impairment, you may be eligible for disability support. The University's Student Equity and Disability Support team provide a range of services that can assist students experiencing disability to participate fully in University activities.

If you are unsure of what services are available, whether you should discuss or disclose to your supervisor how your condition or impairment impacts upon your studies, or how to effectively manage any experience of disability during your candidature, you are welcome to contact the Student Equity and Disability Support team for confidential advice.

Library research consultations

Library staff members are always available to help you with your searches and other sources of information. The Faculty's research librarians are available to assist graduate researchers with discipline-specific research advice and individual research consultations.

An up-to-date list of the Faculty's research librarians and their contact details can be found here:

The Statistical Consulting Centre

The Statistical Consulting Centre offers intensive short courses you might be interested in: "Statistics for Research Workers" and "Design and Analysis of Experiments". These courses are free to RHD students who take them for University credit. Watch out for circulars advertising these courses throughout the year. The Centre also offers five hours of statistical consulting per year to RHD students at no charge. You'll need your supervisor to sign a form that you can download from their website:

Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCID)

Before you begin to publish your research work, you will need to set up an ORCID identifier. This is a unique 16-digit number that identifies you as a researcher. Please contact the Research Officer if you need help with this. By using your ORCID when you publish a journal article, we'll be able to easily attribute the publication to you during the University's data collection.

Student Services

The following key services are available to all students enrolled at the University of Melbourne.

Wellbeing Services

  • HEALTH SERVICE The Health Service provides professional health care to students free of charge (you must provide your Medicare or OSHC card).
  • COUNSELLING SERVICE Visit the counselling service for help with mental health, developmental issues, and psychological processes. Individual counselling sessions are free and it is best to make an appointment in advance.
  • STUDENT HOUSING SERVICE The Student Housing team can help you find and maintain affordable, safe and appropriate housing.

Academic Enrichment Services

  • INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS TEAM This group can help you settle in to Melbourne. Check their website for information on orientation, life in Melbourne, money matters, visas, and returning home.
  • ACADEMIC SKILLS Academic Skills provides assistance with tertiary writing, time and task management, oral presentations, exam preparation, English language development and more.
  • ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE The ESL program assists non-native English speakers develop their oral and written English language skills. There is a new workshop every semester and topics range from grammar and pronunciation to writing. Visit Academic Skills for more details on these free workshops.

    The Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA) is a two-hour test that identifies the academic English language skills that you may need to develop further in order to do well in your academic studies. It also recommends ways in which you can improve your academic English within your degree structure. The DELA is offered at the beginning of each semester.
  • UPSKILLS FOR GRADUATE RESEARCHERS The UpSkills for Graduate Researchers program offers short courses, seminars and workshops in everything from communication to critical thinking, e-research and academic writing. Places in some of the courses are limited, so it is best to apply at the beginning of each semester.
  • GRADUATE RESEARCH EPORTFOLIO The GReP is a collaborative tool, a place to find online courses and resources, and to connect with other graduate researchers across the University. The GReP is designed to be flexible: you can do a whole course, or just drop in for specific information. The courses available through the Graduate Research ePortfolio include online courses focussing on various stages of candidature, courses on ethics, commercialisation, and publishing your research.