Information for students
Would you like to connect with someone from your industry? Ask questions about what they do? How they landed their career? Seek advice on how and where you should start yours?
The Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences (FVAS) graduate mentoring program connects Masters of Agribusiness, Agricultural Sciences, Food Science and Food Packaging and Innovation students with experienced mentors from a range of industries.*
The primary objectives of the FVAS graduate mentoring program are to provide:
- students with the opportunity to develop a greater understanding of the Australian agricultural sector through connecting with industry experts
- professionals with the opportunity to mentor skilled and enthusiastic graduate students by fostering the development of their industry knowledge
Throughout the program FVAS will:
- support mentees and mentors and be available to discuss any questions or concerns that arise from either party
- organise events for mentees and/or mentors as required
- seek feedback from mentees and mentors regarding the success of this initiative at the end of 2019
It is expected that both mentors and mentees will:
- Commit to the mentoring process, including agreed meetings and time commitments
- Be accessible and positive
- Give and receive constructive and honest feedback
- Be non-judgemental
- Respect confidences
Students applying to participate in this program should be willing to commit to a program duration of approximately six months. There are two formal events, one on the afternoon / evening of 17th April 2019 and the second in late October / early November. One on one meet-ups or phone calls should be arrange at a suitable time for both mentors and mentees.
The meeting on 17th April is compulsory, this is where students and mentors will meet for the first time.
- have completed at least 50 points of study in your current degree program or a previous undergraduate or graduate degree program from the University of Melbourne at the time of application
- not complete your studies prior to November 2019**
- have a weighted average mark (WAM) of at least 65% across all subjects undertaken in the degree program.
Applications open on 18th February 2019 and close at 9am on Monday 25 March 2019.
An information session will be held on Tuesday 19th March at 5.15pm in Building 125, Collaborative Learning Space (registrations not yet open).
*the program is also open to students enrolled in Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas if they have completed their undergraduate studies at The University of Melbourne.
**if you plan to transition from a Graduate Certificate or Diploma into the Masters program you can still participate, but must intend to be enrolled in an FVAS program in semester 2, 2019.